Stay in bed for 2 months and get $100,000? This really sounds like a dream job, right? Well, yes it is! But, before you get too excited you need to understand that you have to stay lying down for the full 2 months. Yes, you can’t even go to the bathroom.
In my personal opinion, I think that it takes a high level of mental strength to make it through this process. And, you’ll also be isolated from family and friends. You do get to read, watch TV, play video games, etc. – all laying down, of course. Even meals are eaten in this way.
And, now you probably ask yourself – what’s the point to all this anyway? This research helps NASA determine what happens to astronauts during long periods of space travel.
NASA says the experiments is designed to achieve three things:
- Understanding how one’s changing physiology in space may affect the process of certain missions.
- Understanding the impact of one’s physiological state on their ability to perform in particular tasks.
- Preparing countermeasures to combat any impairment that these physiological conditions may impose.
And, one more thing – this experiment will consist of two categories: exercising and non-exercising.
- Exercising group – they’re able to exercise using special tools that help them stay active while still lying down.
- Non-exercising group – they must stay completely at rest the entire time.
Note: bone tests, muscle tests, tests of the circulatory and nervous systems, nutritional condition, the body’s capacity to fight off infections and heart tests, will be done during the entire study.
So, ladies and gentlemen – tell us what you think? Could you do it? Do you think you could handle it? And, one last question – is it worth it? Share your thoughts in the comments section below. Thank you and have a good one.