Blueberries are AWESOME and we all love them, right?! Well YES, I love blueberries and I eat them every day! Why?! That’s easy to answer – because blueberries are loaded with healthy nutrients and antioxidants. Blueberries contain many anthocyanin antioxidants: malvidins, delphinidins, pelargonidins, cyanidins, and peonidins. If you want to get the most nutrients out of blueberries, you should always go organic. Some foods show small differences in nutritional profiles when comparing organic vs. non-organic items. But, this is not the case with blueberries. This is why you should always go with organic berries. Besides the anthocyanin antioxidants, blueberries also contain: caffeic acids, ferulic acids, coumaric acids, hydroxybenzoic acids, gallic acids, procatchuic acids, kaempferol, quercetin, myricetin and other phytonutrients.
Blueberries can provide the following health benefits:
- They’re loaded with healthy nutrients, but low in calories;
- Powerful antioxidant properties;
- Protect you from DNA damage;
- Slow down the aging process;
- Protect you from cancer;
- Protect cholesterol from being damaged;
- Regulate your high blood pressure;
- Protect from cardiovascular diseases;
- Boost your brain function and memory;
- Lower the risk of diabetes;
- Treat urinary tract infections
- Relieve muscle damage caused by arduous
- Planting Spot and Soil Conditions
Ladies and gentlemen, before we start, you should know that the best planting seasons for blueberry bushes are fall and spring. And, one more thing – the choice of spot and soil is of crucial importance for growing blueberries. This means that you should plant your blueberry bush in a sunny area and provide an appropriate drainage. The soil should be well worked and without any weed. Last, but not least important – you should provide enough water and the pH level should be between 4 and 5.
- Planting Process
NOTE: the best diameter for planting blueberries is 2.5 feet since they need enough space, and the preferable depth should be 1 foot.
- Make a hole and take out half of the soil.
- Then, you need to add an equal amount of peat moss, but moisten it previously.
- At the end, mix the content well.
Remember these 2 things: if you are planting more than one bush, make sure they are separated by at least 2 feet, or make sure that each bush has 6 feet space around it. But, place them 8-10 feet apart if you plant them in a row. And second – if you are using baby bushes make sure that you pull them out very carefully and rough up the cortical layer of its root. Then, add ½ inch planting soil, thicken it around the root, and add the rest. Also, note that it is very important to water the plant frequently.
Follow the simple instructions:
- Moist the shallow roots of blueberry bushes (sawdust, rind mulch, acid tripe, or grass clippings).
- Add 2-4 inch layer of any of these and make sure that the material is organic.
Repeat the procedure once a year (cedar and redwood tree sawdust should not be used for this purpose).
Ladies and gentlemen, this is very important for you to remember – prune the blueberry plants once a year and trim any existing flowers on the bush. This process will help your blueberry plant to be healthy and strong and will provide enough strength to the bush to bear the fruits. And, what is most important, the fruits will become bigger.
NOTE: in order to provide proper pruning, make sure that you eliminate any growths from the lowest part of the bush, remove dead woods, trim discolored and small branches, and remove half of the wood. You should always use blood meal or cottonseed for fertilization and avoid manures because they can damage the blueberry bush.
- Harvest and Storage
The harvesting period is around July – August. And remember:
- Do not hurry to pick them right after they become blue, but wait for a few days to ripen fully.
- Do not pick all the fruits at the same time since all berries do not ripen at the same time.
That’s it! We really hope you enjoyed this article and don’t hesitate to click the share button below. Thank you and have a good one!